Militaria Fundforum

Zurück   Militaria Fundforum > Geschichte, Forschung und Museen > Militärmuseen > Museen Großbritannien

Antwort

Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 29.06.2007, 16:33   #11
PK-Mann
Super-Moderator

Benutzerbild von PK-Mann

Standard

Ich stell das Folgende mal unübersetzt ein. Das Warnham War Museum von Joe Lyndhurst war in den 70er Jahre etwas ganz besonderes, wenn man bedenkt, daß es damals viele der großen und bekannten Sammlungen, noch gar nicht gegeben hat.

Joe Lyndhurst - Founder of the Warnham Museum

Joe was born in 1924 in Richmond, Surrey. During the war he was intrigued by the Jeeps that he saw driven by Canadian and American soldiers and resolved that one day he would own one. It took him another 20 years but, in 1962, Joe bought his first Jeep… from a film company! He used the Jeep as his second car during the summer, but took it off the road and started to restore it to its original military spec during the cold winter of 1962/63. Other Jeeps followed and he entered three in the HCVS London to Brighton run in 1968, taking all three prizes in the military class. Since the end of the war, Joe had been involved in running the family business, the New Beach Holiday Camp at Earnley near Chichester. The Earnley site meant that Joe was immune from the usual storage problems and by 1973, his collection had grown to 20 vehicles. Not surprisingly, Earnley had become the focus for other enthusiasts in the area, and dressed in US 5th Army uniforms whenever they attended vehicle shows, Joe’s informal group became known as Lyndhurst’s Army. When the holiday camp was sold in 1974, Joe used his share of the proceeds to buy Tyldens at Durford Hill, Horsham. He had big plans for Tyldens and at Easter 1976, re-opened Tyldens as the Warnham War Museum. Joe and his wife, Yvonne, ran both the Museum and the restaurant.

As word spread among enthusiasts, the Warnham War Museum began to acquire near-legendary status. Back then, large private collections were unusual, private museums even more so. Aside from the ‘official’ collections held at places such as the IWM and the Tank Museum, Warnham was one of the few locations where enthusiasts and the general public could see a display of WW2 vehicles together with literally hundreds of other WW2 artifacts. When I bought my first military vehicle in 1980, Warnham was one of the first places that I took it and I can still remember picnicking in the field at the back of the site… though I also recall that the restaurant did a fine line in afternoon teas. I will also confess to you that in 1980 I persuaded my new wife that we should spend one day of our honeymoon at Warnham … In 1983, Joe wrote the definitive book on military collectables which was published by Salamander… even today, it remains a sought-after guide to this fascinating topic.

The collection continued to grow and expand and Warnham began to host a monthly militaria sale and the occasional auction. As inevitably happens, the collection grew too big for the Lyndhursts to manage and, eventually, the only sensible course of action was to sell-up. Today Tyldens is a nursing home and the collection has been distributed across the world. Curiously, the militaria fairs continue… albeit at nearby Kingsfold. After a short spell in hospital, Joe died on 14 August 2000. During his 40 years of involvement with the movement he had seen the military vehicle world change beyond all recognition… but his passing has left it considerably poorer. Joe was a real enthusiast. Generous with his time and his knowledge and always ready to lend a hand. He was almost certainly responsible for encouraging many to collect and restore military vehicles and Joe is a worthy recipient of the Bart Vanderveen Challenge Shield. Sadly his widow Yvonne was not well enough to be at the show but a long time friend of Joe, George Kimmins, kindly agreed to accept the award on his behalf.

- Courtesy of Pat Ware, CMV Magazine

... allerdings hab' ich keine Ahnung, ob das Museum noch existiert
PK-Mann ist gerade online   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 05.09.2007, 21:29   #12
PK-Mann
Super-Moderator

Benutzerbild von PK-Mann

Standard Joe Lyndhurst Collection

... selbst das After the Battle Magazine verwendete Fahrzeuge aus der Joe Lyndhurst Collection in Warnham, als Motiv in seiner WW II Ansichtskartenserie, welche in fast jedem Militärmuseum in England verkauft wurden.

Dieses Foto des SAS-Jeep stammt von 1973

Typenbezeichnung :
Hersteller :
Baujahr : 19
Zylinderanzahl :
Hubraum : Liter
Startleistung : PS
Drehzahl : rpm
Flugzeugmuster :
Angehängte Grafiken
Dateityp: jpg lyndhurst-jeep.jpg (241.4 KB, 26x aufgerufen)
PK-Mann ist gerade online   Mit Zitat antworten
Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Ansicht